Friday, July 29, 2005

Out with the guys

Wednesday night, after going to the Earthworks and then to dinner, a group of the engineers went to a bar in Granville called Brews. I thought it was very interesting to go there and see the local wildlife. It was a total dive! As far as I could tell, the primary motivation for going there was to experience some beer named Arrogant Bastard (no, really, that is its name).

Our manager, Andy, stood us up for dinner, and we discovered that he'd just gone straight to the bar. He was pretty toasted when we caught up with him there. Charming. He leered at Jaime and made off-color jokes about his own lack of endowment. Should make staff meetings more engrossing from now on.


Deb and Jaime pose together. Why? Because we're pretty rocket scientists! We have to admit, though, that neither of us are very good at flirting. *sigh*


David Vickers, a key member of the top-ranked bar trivia team STEELR (Buffalo Wild Wings in Heath on Tuesday night). Deb, David, and Brian ruled the trivia world!


Mark Tinawi: Mr. Gap Inc, and everyone's favorite interim supportability guy. He's the source of a good story: For some reason, on Wednesday afternoon, Mark threw a crumpled piece of paper at me. I responded by throwing a crumpled napkin at him. Since I can't throw worth anything, I missed him, so I threw another wadded-up napkin, but missed him and hit Henry instead. They laughed at me and threw them back at me. I took one of the napkins, wetted it with my water bottle, and threw it at an opportune moment-- I hit him square on the neck with the world's largest spitwad. Heheh. He said it hurt, though. Sorry, Mark! Anyway, then, to my amusement and horror (equal servings of both), I saw that Bob Lusitano (Northrop Grumman program manager) was staring at us. In between snickering and gasping, I berated the Mark and Henry: "Guys, quit fooling around! This is serious business!" *snort snort* Lusitano kept looking at me for the rest of the afternoon.
I swear, I sometimes act like a giggly teenager, but I am a doggone good analyst!

I intimated that my briefing did not go well. Overall, it was actually pretty good. The beginning and ending were kind of weak, but the middle part (the stuff with the data and the technical interchanging) was fine. The worst part was when the customer rep asked me some questions, and I dithered a bit, because it took me a few minutes to figure out what he really wanted to know, versus what he actually asked (which were not the same thing). Cheryl jumped in with some good info, but I had lost my momentum, and the customer guy wouldn't look or talk in my direction (and I was in the front, at the podium) for the rest of the time. It doesn't help that the customer rep looks and acts like a bug that just crawled out from the darkness under a rock. Seriously, he totally does: He hunches over and glances around from side to side, tilting his head up to squint at you, as you mutter about schedule or brilliantly explain your spectral analysis... Makes me laugh.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ya, you better not be good at flirting.

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home