Wednesday, July 20, 2005

*.*

Well, I'm scarfing down some spinach and leftover pasta in my office at work.
Food. It's a good thing.

Lots of interesting things have been going on in the world:
This happened a few days ago, in Helsinki (Gosh, there's a city with a low media profile. I mean, can you think of anything else that has happened in Helsinki recently? When planning vacations, does anyone ever say, "I've heard Helsinki has great beaches and a happenin' night life"? Just the name makes you want to create a joke with a bad pun as the punchline.). Aceh doesn't have independence or even autonomy, but TNI is withdrawing from the area and the Acehnese will get more and better representation. Whatever. I'm waiting to see how long it takes before gun-toting "pro-Indonesia factions" start terrorizing the countryside...

Mr. Scott Beams Up to the Big Transporter Room in the Sky
I'm not a Trekkie, but I am enough of a geek to care. I always found him to be one of the most agreeable characters from the original Star Trek crew. And I didn't know until today that Doohan was a war veteran who served at Normandy on D-Day. So, give him some respect!

Speaking of being a geek, here's an informal reader poll.
Do you consider yourself to be a geek?
Do other people consider you to be a geek?
Does it bother you? (either way)
Would you choose to be geekier?

4 Comments:

Blogger Sapience said...

Yes, I consider myself something of a geek. Some others consider me one as well. It doesn't bother me so long as they don't think of being geeky as a harmful behavior. I don't think I'd want to be much geekier--moderation in everything (including geekiness) is better.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Melissa P. said...

No, I don't consider myself a geek, but if grades make you geeky then I can't deny it. I don't think others consider me geeky, and it doesn't bother me. Yeah, I prolly would choose to be a littler geekier so that I could be the authority on at least one subject. Does it count that I was voted biggest teacher's pet in high school?

10:39 AM  
Blogger luminarumbra said...

Yes, I consider myself a geek, and most other people consider me one, too. Especially when they find out a good portion of my interest is fantasy/sci-fi or video game related. I work towards being more geeky every day, growing in my knowledge of video games, fantasy literature, and random crap that I find fascinating.

I think my next big self-project will be on Hindu deities and folktales.

2:58 PM  
Blogger K-W said...

Yes, Yes, not really (I have gotten used to it). Given my Luther shirt, my fanaticism for History, my nose constantly in some book, my computer skills, my intermittant RPG and anime indulgences, and Ivy League grad school acceptance, it would be hard to be too much geekier. Thus, I think I am geeky enough for my own tastes. Too much more, and it might start to cramp my style. ;)

1:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home