Thursday, July 21, 2005

know thyself

My comments on geekiness were prompted by thoughts I had over the weekend. Among other things, I jokingly remarked that I liked hanging out with my older brother and his friends, because they make me comparatively less nerdy and socially pathetic than usual. They talk about comic books, Warhammer miniatures, and video games. You know. They are real RPG-playing, anime-watching, convention-attending geeks.

Then I started thinking. Am I in denial? I suspect that most "normal" people (whoever they are; please tell me if you can positively identify them) would see little difference between me and Dan's homies. I have all of the marks of geekiness except extreme computer expertise and Star Trek fanhood, and I sort of acquired those through marriage. I started examining my regular activities and interests.

I like hanging out by myself with just my cats and maybe my husband (when he's not elsewhere, playing Halo or being a computer or photography nerd).
I like getting good grades.
I like watching Buffy and Sci Fi Friday television, and then spending hours browsing the Internet or reading ancient literature.
I like reading science journals.
I like obsessing about obscure topics and researching them.
I like being considered an expert on a wide variety of topics.
I like being able to explain and even diagram the relationships among the various linguistic descendants of Proto-Indoeuropean.
I like my t-shirts with the periodic table or liver flukes on them.

Oh, well.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You are definitely in Geek denial. Embrace it and you will be much happier!

4:24 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

What does it mean when the people that are dumber than you are usually the ones labeling you a geek?

6:36 PM  
Blogger Melissa P. said...

Deb, if you're a rocket scientist, there really is no escaping geekdom.

On the good side, I think Brendoman is a bigger geek and can claim a different sort of geekiness.

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home