Monday, May 16, 2005

Monday, Monday, again

Okay, I am seriously, like, the worst student ever! I'm in class and instead of paying rapt attention, I'm writing on my blog. But it's okay, because it's Cults of America, and Kevin Lewis is still talking about Mormons. Thank you, I know how to evaluate 1 Nephi in light of Jeremiah 27. I can already explain all the reasons why the Joseph Smith translation of the Bible is neither useful nor authoritative, but the LDS should accept it as so. I understand the issues with "reformed Egyptian hieroglyphics." I'm already an expert on problems inherent in the Book of Abraham. So, it's blogdom for me.

I had a reasonably good day today, despite the fact that I had to go to work, and despite the fact that I had to turn in my Torrey project today. I have been mostly sleepless since Saturday, trying to complete the darn thing, which wasn't difficult but rather just absorbing. I studied the presence and prevalence of HIV/AIDS in West Papua, and it was emotionally and spiritually draining. I have so many issues with so many things, and my beloved Papua is chief among them. If people are interested in learning more about this issue, let me know. I've got plenty to say.

Anyway, as I stated in my last post, I went down to San Diego with Debbie Friday-Saturday. When we got back to LA area, Debbie went shopping for a dress to wear to Rob and Candace's wedding, and I went to the Horton Wrecking Party at Biola. I was 30 minutes late, thanks to traffic on the 5, but I scooted in and had a great time. Dan was there, and saved me a seat at a table with: Jason Miller and his new wife Brooke (never heard of her before), Will Thorpe, Mike Donley and Lydia, Mike Welles, and Akida Morgan. I hadn't seen some of them for ages! I saw Di (Diana Petroi) and she came and joined our table, too. They set up a microphone and encouraged people to come and share their memories of Horton. There were some young girls who shared stories of pranks and fun times, obviously from very recent years, and Josh Neal shared some funny stories, too. Deann Decker came up and shared. I thought about getting up and speaking, but realized that I would either say something stupid (i.e. something I thought was funny, but no one else did) or just babble for a bit and then cry. Well, I'll use this as my open mic.
I remember Horton.
-LOUD and proud! Our secret names and being TOUGH Girls!
-ice blocking
-mud wrestling
-worship times in the study or Joani and Sara's room (Joani on guitar)
-random late-night dance parties
-Deann having babies
-Deann's cookie parties
-Deann comforting me after Angie died
-Deann advising me on helping a friend who was in sin
-Tom Cruise cardboard cutout
-Joani and Sara's poster of Fred With Tires
-"Wall O' Hotties"
-playing pranks in Alpha
-anti-BAB day in chapel: all of us wearing sexy black clothing
-lots of nursing majors and ex-Alpha RAs living on our floor
-RAs from the guys' side and from Emerson would come on our floor during rounds, and yell, "Man on the floor!" We would reply, "You wish!"
-living with Kelly
-early-morning jogging with Kel and Irene Carranza
-Laura bringing home end-of-day goodies from Bonjour Bagel Bakery
-Em-Ho BBQs
-Em-Ho Christmas parties
-tae-bo in the lobby
-Big group of people watching the Seinfeld season finale in the lobby, including Matt Svendsen.
-interterms
-GYRADs
-hanging out with Angela
-spending the night with Mia in Horton whenever Jeff was out-of-town
*sigh* Fun times. After the dinner and speeches, we got pieces of bricks and t-shirts. Then we were allowed to go through the halls of Horton, writing things on the walls with markers. I wrote all over, things like "Deb lived here!" over my old rooms and "Ed Enochs went here!" next to the door of the old HUGE bathroom (note: Donley was wearing his HUGE t-shirt--so cute!).

After going home, I hung out with Debbie and then worked hard on my project. Sunday morning, we visited Rob's church in Lakewood--very fun old-time Baptist church, although not totally my cup of tea. The people of the church were having a lunch and wedding shower for Rob and Candace after the service; Debbie stayed, but I didn't, because I had to get back up to Fullerton and work on my project. Candace wanted me to stay, since she doesn't really know anybody, and I felt bad that I had to leave. We both thought that the whole "let's have the whole church give you presents, even though we don't know each other" party thing was weird, but done with the best of intentions.

Well, my post tried to self-publish. I managed to salvage it, but realized that I don't have anything more to say, at this point. Kevin is talking about genetic origins of Native Americans. Whee!

2 Comments:

Blogger Graf Spee said...

I thought I was the only one who said things like that in response to "man on the floor." :}

3:05 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

can't believe horton is gone... I wish we could have been there. good times.

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home