Thursday, June 30, 2005

No horrifically long post now

I am back at work today, after taking yesterday off… I awoke with a sore throat and a lot of pain in my neck. Fortunately, we had a chiropractor appointment in the afternoon, and after my adjustment, Dr. Lee not only did the usual muscle massage, but she also massaged the lymph nodes in my neck (to get my lymphatic system working) and pressure points on my head. Ouch! But I felt so much better after she was done, and went home with strict doctor’s orders to take a very hot shower/bath to keep the circulation going in my muscles, plus expel some toxins through my pores. Aaahhh…
Anyway, I’m back at work. This is the last day that I’ll see Sarah Carrera here; I’ll be gone on vacation tomorrow, and she’ll be over at her new job in Naval Electronics Systems immediately following the holiday (July 4). She’s been a good person to work with, and I’ll miss having her around (not least because I’m taking over some of her duties… like I need extra work!). I’m trying to get the first draft of my document finished and sent out (so people can have a week and a half to give me feedback), and my inbox cleaned out to the extent that 5 days away from work won’t cause the staggering volume of megabytage to cripple the Anaheim Exchange server. Unfortunately, I’ve already switched into vacation mode, so my motivation is at zero! *sigh*

Elizabeth is coming over tonight, and we’re going to watch a movie and have girl-talk. Sara isn’t coming because she’s in Japan for Reiko’s wedding (yay, Reiko!). But E and I will have fun anyway.

Last night, Jeff and I took Laurel to Mott's Miniatures, which is a huge miniatures store along Orangethorpe in Fullerton. It was awesome! We got Laurel a gift certificate for her birthday, so that she can get whatever she wants; she's always longed for a dollhouse, but could never afford one when she was young. The store was supposed to be open till 6 pm, but when we got there at 5:40 (Laurel had to come over from work after 5, and then we had to drive there, so it took a while), the store was closed. The door wasn't locked, though, so we just opened it and walked in. The shop girl told us that the store had closed early because no one had been coming in; I was about to argue that someone HAD just come in, so they should be open again (I'm a tough customer; don't mess with the Deb.), but a man in the back (the owner or the manager, I think) saved me the trouble by telling her it was okay-- she could leave early, and he'd take care of us. So that was cool. We looked a little bit, and Laurel bought something, but it's definitely a place where we'll be going back. Laurel wants to design and build a miniature log cabin (like the one she grew up in, when she lived in the Canadian sub-Arctic region), and I want to build a miniature stilted wood/bark hut (like the one I grew up in). Dollhouse/miniatures companies make a few pretty tame miniature log cabin kits, but Laurel wants one a bit more realistically rough-hewn; meanwhile, no jungle-huts-in-trees-or-on-stilts kits are commercially available. Those imperialistic, western-centric dollhouse makers! With their utter lack of multi-cultural appeal! Oh, well, it gives us a chance to be creative and do our own things.

After Mott's Miniatures (if you live in South LA or North Orange County and enjoy miniatures, check it out), we went to Black Angus on Imperial, because we had a coupon. We ordered what was officially a meal for two people, and there was more than enough food for us three. We at A LOT.

On a side note, I watched The Easiest Way on Tuesday evening, and The Florodora Girl and Dramatic School on Wednesday morning. I love my old movies!

1 Comments:

Blogger Graf Spee said...

Woohoo!!! Minitures are fun. Hmm, I'll have to see if I can come up with any ideas on how to do a bark walled hut on stilts... :}

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home