Friday, March 18, 2005

Working and thinking all week

Life since my last post has been full, to say the least.

Last weekend, I went to the women's retreat for Fullerton's First Evangelical Free Church. I generally dislike women's church events, because they are seldom enjoyable to someone who desires solid theological teaching and intellectual discourse. But the speaker for this year's retreat was Betsy Barber, so I figured that the teaching would be decent, at the very least. The retreat was located at the Millenium Biltmore Hotel in downtown Los Angeles, which sounds odd but was very pleasant, as the Biltmore has a lot of significance in the entertainment industry; it was the location for the founding of the Association of the Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and several early Academy Award ceremonies were held there; it also has served as a set for dozens of movies and is apparently a popular destination for celebrities (I didn't think it was all that luxurious). The best part was that my partners for the adventure were Mom and Christina. Chris and I went up to LA on Friday afternoon on the church's chartered bus, and Mom came up on the Metro in time for dinner. The three of us were together in one room, and we were assigned a fourth roommate, who was someone we didn't know, and who unwittingly provided much fodder for humor during the weekend.
Well, as it turned out, our roommate was quite a snorer. I was all right on Friday night, being bothered only toward morning, but she kept Mom and Christina awake a lot, since they are lighter sleepers than I. Saturday night, we asked if we could wake her up or roll her over if she started snoring; she agreed, and we added that she could do the same for us. Apparently she began snoring around midnight, but I did not hear, as I was already sound asleep. I did hear her ear-splitting shrieks. Apparently, Christina had been kept awake when the roommate began snoring, and had gently crept over to pat her shoulder and whisper, “Wake up. You’re snoring. Wake up.” Our roommate must have been panic-stricken, and so awoke at high volume. Christina crept back to our bed (we were sharing a queen-size) and crawled in, muttering, “Sorry. I didn’t mean to scare her.” And Mom, bless her, is absolutely equal to any occasion, and handled it with more grace and patience than I could possibly have mustered. She calmed our lady down, prayed with her, and settled her back to sleep. Then the other three of us lay awake for a while, since our adrenaline had been pumped by the midnight screaming. I was afraid someone in an adjoining room might have heard the commotion and called security or something, but nobody inquired about the event, so remind me not to expect any response if I am assaulted in a posh hotel, and scream for help.
One of the nicer parts of the weekend was our small group experience. I signed us up for a group at random, since I didn’t really know any of the available leaders, and picked Amanda Dekker because her name sounded fun. She was fun—she’s a Biola student, a senior Christian Ed major who has served as the women’s ministries intern at the church. We really enjoyed her, and also enjoyed our other group members: a Filipino mother and daughter named Lilian and Marian, and two nice ladies, Lisa and Val, who are hardworking moms.
On Saturday afternoon, we had free time, and we went to the costume exhibit at FIDM, and then Mom and I browsed the Fashion District while Christina went to the hotel and ran three miles.

Now in real time, I am still home from work because I don't feel well at all. I am stuffed up and achey, and so very fatigued. Jeff was sick over the weekend, and said that his symptoms were the same as mine are. I need to do so much at work that I can't miss a whole day, but I slept in and am resting for a bit, and then will go and work 6 hours or so. I cannot wait until I am at a place in my life when I don't feel guilty about taking care of myself. I also cannot wait until I get my resurrection body, which will not be feeble and sick.

So I'm lead investigator for looking into the OER null shift issue, which means nothing to anybody, but just know that it's part of an assembly that helps a poor toaster know where it's at in life, and I'm finding that I care less and less about it as time goes on. Perhaps I've gotten by degrees tireder and tireder, and sicker and sicker, in the past week or so, which saps my energy and diverts my concentration, but I know that I should care about something as important as the OER. But I like other things so much more. We'll see.


Post a Comment

<< Home