Tuesday, October 18, 2005

In the past week, I have:
-Had dinner with Sherida.
-Had Essensia ice cream. This is significant only because it provoked an extended discussion about mascarpone. You see, Essensia’s gimmick is putting a phrase that reads “What’s essential is the _____” on all of their products. Some of them are self-explanatory. My very crunchy peanut butter declares, “What’s essential is the nuttiness.” The caramel swirl ice cream stated, “What’s essential is the caramel.” Okaaaaay. The ice cream in question was Berry Italian Cheesecake, or something like that, but the carton did not list berries, cream cheese, or even cake as the essential element. No, it was mascarpone. We humble US citizens had to ask, “What is mascarpone?” I guessed aloud that it was a kind of cheese, or failing that, a sort of Italian liqueur. We looked at the ingredient list, and voila!, it was indeed a kind of cheese.
-Watched Monty Python’s Meaning of Life, The Triumph of Love, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, and several episodes of
South Park (Yes, I think it's vulgar. I also think it's hysterically funny.).
-Hung out with Jeff, Laurel, and Josh.
-Gone to Grace in Long Beach. It was nice to be back, even though I was not able to see anybody except my family. Laurel and Josh came with us, but I don’t know if they liked it or not.
-Played Stock Market (so perplexing, and not at all logical).
-Looked for a job in Visalia. Prospects are still glum.
-Listened to two lectures on the Ancient Church, and read about 100 pages of later Greek and early Medieval philosophy.
-Visited with my parents for an evening.
-Hosted a table at the Cultural Diversity Celebration at work. I was sharing my cultural diversity as a confused third-world tribal girl stuck in the 21st century. My company is so inept! They have a great intention to foster diversity in the workplace, or whatever, but they’re going about it the wrong way. They’ll never get the support of the engineering rank-and-file, because they aren’t bothering to give the technical people the answers that they need; I don’t think they even realize that they’re way out to lunch. The solution is simple, of course: Put Deb in charge of Corporate Diversity. However, that’s never going to happen.
-Worked some.
-Passed 100 posts on my blog.

There's more, but I can't think of it.

4 Comments:

Blogger luminarumbra said...

If you get a chance, you may want to pick up a copy of this week's Newsweek magazine. Their cover story is on Mormonism. I haven't read it myself... don't get much downtime to read on the job... but yeah.

1:59 AM  
Blogger Naomi said...

Hey Deb,

Nice to see your comment! I, too, totally sympathize with your lack of career successes at the moment, and I really hope things pick up for you soon... seriously though, you are so smart and capable and WHY is it that somehow you can't seem to get a job offer??? Something has gone awry somewhere. Ecch.

From a selfish perspective, it's even freakier to hear that WITH that magical Masters degree you still aren't guaranteed gainful employment. Perhaps what's required is simply to sleep with all the appropriate higher-ups? Given the choice between whoring oneself out to the institution (literally) and starving, I'm not entirely sure which is the more sensible choice. :o)

Happy Friday, and I'll respond to your e-mail in greater detail soon!

Yours,
Naomi

12:07 AM  
Blogger Kiti said...

Naomi,
I don't know what I'm going to do. I've already whored my mind to The Corporation. My body is all I have left!

-Deb

3:16 PM  
Blogger RhoYo said...

Deb, write a new post already! Come on! At least one more post before you move. Please? ::grin:: love ya girl!

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home