Thursday, September 15, 2005

Flurry

How can I be working and blogging* at the same time? Thanks to the modern wonders of data mining, I am writing while my computer processes data. I’m sitting at work, running through data and listening to my music. The data work is dull, but must be done. It keeps my fingers occasionally busy, but my mind fairly empty. That leads to thinking and introspection, which can only lead to badness.

Yep, it led to badness. Also, I think I did some of my data processing incorrectly (miscounted some factors). All I have to say is “Oh, nutty fudgekins!”

Murray just came in and talked to Kent about a really cool project for diagramming and displaying the function of the optical sub-system in the gyrocompass assembly. Something useful and instructive. That is what I would rather be doing, instead of this stupid, boring task that I’m on right now. I know that sub-system better than almost anyone else on the planet. I’m a freaking photo-system goddess! Utilize me!

I just remembered that Mom told me yesterday that Mike is going to be here this weekend, and I would like to see him, so that’s something else I need to do by the end of the week.

*I am admiring the way that an abbreviated noun became a verb. Weblog (n. log or journal on the web) --> blog (n. ugly but serviceable word meaning weblog) --> blog (v. to write and post on said weblog). These bloggily (adv. done according blog fashion) blogged blogs now form a virtual layer of the world, referred to as the “blogosphere”. It sounds like it could have a Greek root word:
blogw**: I write my seemingly deep thoughts on a piece of parchment and post them in the agora for all the polis to read.
In a similar way, BUBBS went from being an acronym (n. Biola University Bulletin Board System) to a verb (v. to communicate via said BBS, a la “BUBBS me,” indicating “e-mail me via BUBBS”) to a virtual campus (even more so, now that the layout was changed to reflect the actual Biola campus). Freaky.
**Why does Blogger have a Webdings font (what the heck is that, anyway?), but NOT a Greek font? Have they no consideration for the vast multitude of classical scholars who are blog-happy and active on the WWW? Grrr. Pretend for now that "blogw" is written in Greek letters. I'll try to find a way to fix it later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home