Saturday, April 02, 2005

Report from the week

It's been a tough week, mostly. Even though it was spring break from school, I had a lot to do at work and Jeff has been in Florida since Tuesday, on business travel, which means that I've not been sleeping well. I had a little movie party with friends (Mom and Mia, Christina and Lacy, Joi and Liz) on Tuesday night; we watched Mean Girls, which was still both funny and thought-provoking--it's a silly teen movie on one level, but a sharp commentary on both societal values and the struggle of being a Third Culture Kid (Seriously, how many Hollywood movies have tackled this issue?). I saw more humor in the film than anyone else, even Mia or my mom, since I was a teenager when I came to the US, and I remember so many of my experiences being like Cady's (although hers were naturally exaggerated for comic and dramatic effect, as well as being resolved in an unrealistically fast and smooth manner). In fact, I don't really see how anyone but an MK/TCK would really get Cady Heron (fake Hollywoodesque TCK though she was). I'm considering reading the book upon which the movie was based.

Anyway, it's gotten really windy here, so even though the temperature itself has been warmer, the wind still makes me chilly. Also, it's brought in a lot of dust and stuff from the desert, which is triggering my allergies: sneezing and sinus headaches. The fun thing is that one of the buildings here at work has these huge grate-type things in the back by the parking lot--I assume they're part of the ventilation system or something--and whenever it's windy, they vibrate and sing, and totally sound like an ensemble of ghostly pan-pipes! Very spooky!

Since Jeff has been gone, I've been keeping busy by watching a lot of the old movies I've recorded from TCM, because we're running out of space on the DVR. I've seen The Last of Mrs. Cheyney, The Keyhole, Miss Pinkerton, Dance, Fools, Dance, and Imitation of Life.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sher said...

I'm so sad I missed the movie night. :,o( ::sniff::

10:50 PM  
Blogger Kiti said...

It would have been fun to have you. I'll host another movie night soon.
=)

12:06 PM  
Blogger GoingGlobal said...

Hi,

I am a TCK myself and am trying to find other TCKs! I just opened a shop at:

www.cafepress.com/tck

If you could spread the word that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Shoshauna

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home