Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Tuesday is fact day

Yes, it's a probable regular feature. Each day of the week will provide fodder for some random bit of info or subject. Tuesday will feature fun and interesting facts from the world of science and history.

French poet Rene Francois Armand "Sully" Prudhomme was the first writer to receive a Nobel Prize for literature. (1901)
Swedish novelist Selma Lagerlof was the first woman to receive the Nobel Prize in literature. (1909) Side note: Her first novel, Gosta Berlings Saga, was later filmed with a very young Greta Garbo in the cast.
Sinclair Lewis was the first American writer to receive the Nobel Prize for literature. (1930)
As far as I could tell, the Nobel Prize for literature has not yet been awarded to an Indonesian or Papuan writer.
Now you have some not-particularly-useful knowledge.

Today was a busy day, as most of my days are. At work, I did my usual "run about with the data" thing, as well as holding a meeting to deal with a possible optical unit problem that could negatively impact toaster performance (those who are curious will be glad to discover that I work for a large technical company, keeping an eye on kitchen toaster accuracy and reliability). I was less prepared than I usually would be, because I had had a certain theory about what could be causing certain problems, and the data indicated that my theory was wrong, so I had to ditch the hypothesis and come into the meeting with some good information and a plea to the various experts to help me develop a hypothesis matrix. In the end, I discovered that I just have to gather more data, before I can formulate a hypothesis--tedious, perhaps, but it could be worse; I could be teaching kindergarten.

At any rate, I grabbed some food (having not eaten since breakfast) on my way to class, which was Torrey discussion on Marx. Now there's somebody who would never have won the Nobel for literature, even if it had existed when he was around! It was pretty standard, and I felt that my brain really was stretched a little, even if I always get frustrated with Marx, in that it is easy for me to identify what the flaws are in his theory, but it is difficult for me to articulate them.

Now it's late, late, late and time for me to hop into bed and prepare for another lively day tomorrow. I have to wonder, though--Am I an oppressor or an oppressed? Is it possible to be neither, or both? Is a human being really merely the end result of his or her economic circumstance? One thing is certain: Every man and woman, whether bourgeois or proletariat, whether mighty or weak, is biologically bound to the need for sleep and sustenance. So at the most basic level, we are already equal anyway. It's in the way the needs are played out, and the manner in which they are, or are not, met, that the differences among people become apparent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home